It's a Sign! Whimsy in the Time of Plague

 (originally published 29th July, 2020)


The ancient Norse Squirrel god, Rattatoskr was not only known for spreading malicious gossip, but disease as well.

One of the ways that the Vikings would try and appease her would be to suspend two prisoners (occasionally people captured in a raid, but far more often, regular criminals) from a tree and set them swinging. A double-ended spear would be set between them and set to spinning.

If, after a set number of swings (accounts vary), both prisoners are unharmed, Rattatoskr is considered appeased, and it is believed that the plague will soon run its course...

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's kind of cool that someone in Brisbane translink seems to be aware of this particular ritual.

I mean, I can't think of any OTHER way to interpret this mysterious glyph that I saw at the bus station this morning...



Comments