A Life In Art: Gerard Collins

Gerard Collins (1908-1974) was an Irish woodcarver and artist most famous for his intricate religious-themed work, incorporating traditional Celtic motifs. 

One thing he was less well known for was what he called 'Ordinary Icons', in which he would depict religious figures in relaxed positions or in day-to-day life. 

"These were people," he explained in a BBC radio interview in October, 1966. "They breathed and slept and ate and drank. I don't want to make idols to be worshipped. These were flesh and blood, and I want people to look at them and think, 'That's a person that I want to pattern my life after'." 

One figure he originally crafted as a kind of private joke amongst his family was a tiny figure of Jesus with a broom. "Because I was a woodcarver, and Joseph was a carpenter, I thought of his workshop, awash with sawdust and offcuts and it just amused me, but it ended up being quite popular." 
The first Jesus figurine was made as a present to Collins' son-in-law, Aiden, but when friends saw it, they all wanted copies."It became quite a little industry." 

Mister Collins lived his entire life in the small town of Pilmore, in the South East of Co.Cork, in the same humble cottage. Evidence of his long occupancy can be seen everywhere, with ornate carvings on almost every surface. 

To the end of his days, he maintained a humble, cheerful demeanor. "I get a bit of work on local churches and such which keeps the wolf from my door, I love a humble life, and most of my day-to-day money comes from the sale of the figurines. It still astounds me that something I came up with as a kind of whim would be so popular, but I make a tidy little profit."

Comments